Monday 20 August 2012

What justice system? I applaud our police.

There's been talk over the years that our justice system is going 'soft'.

And you know, when you read the 'social pages' (the court reports) it is hard to disagree. Our police do a damnably difficult job. Ever since some idiot judge decreed it was acceptable to tell a policeman to "F" off with no consequence, things have gone downhill.

The police have to stand and watch the criminals they arrest smirk and make obscene gestures as they walk out of court, with crimes of violence getting 'home detention' or '40 hours community service'. Fines go unpaid, and amongst youth it is becoming a bit of a bragging sheet to show how much you have in unpaid fines.

As for murder, the taking of another human's life... 
I agree that 'life imprisonment' should be 'life imprisonment', not just "10 years then if you're a good boy (or girl) we'll let you back out."

Not so good for the murder victim, or the victim of the rape / bashing who is scarred for the rest of their life nor, for that matter, their families and loved ones.

Actually, I may have a solution to this... (since we seem incapable of actually fulfilling a real life sentence).
Here's an example... 

Now, firstly, I'm going to base my theory on the biblical definition of a human lifespan - i.e. the "3 score and 10" or 70 years people are supposed to live.
So, let's say a person is murdered at the age of 23. Under current systems the killer may get 'life' and be out on the streets of our community again in say 12 - 15 years.

But what if the criminal / murderer was imprisoned for the remainder of what the dead person MAY have lived, which would make a non-parole period of 47 years in the example given?

That seems like real justice to me.

Most sentences appear to be a slap on the wrist and the result of the politically correct civil libertarians defending the rights of the criminal and not the victims. Okay, I'm not in court, I'm only reading what the media publish for me to read and I don't get to read all the detail behind the case (nor do I necessarily want to!).

But "I was drunk, your honour", "I was on drugs at the time", "I've had a hard life" and "My mummy didn't love me like she was supposed to" does not give the attacker a free 'get-put-of-jail' card. 
If they won't do it themselves, make these ferals take responsibility for their own behaviour.

We are bringing up another generation of kids who believe they can lay the blame (and responsibility) for their behaviour on someone / something else.

No. Life shouldn't work like that.
Make these criminals pay back what they took away.
Stop pussy-footing around with the politically correctness this country is suffering from these days.

Oh, and about those fines...
The kid doesn't pay the fine? Take the kid's car away. No first-second-third warning.

Or put in place a realistic automatic deduction from the kid's salary / wages / benefit / bank account. They don't get a choice. (And I'm not talking 10 cents a day - make it hurt... $50 a week... take away their booze money.)

Oh all right, I'll be generous... let's give the kid 24 hours to front up at the court with the total fine.
No political correctness. They broke the law - criminals have to learn there is a REAL consequence that falls on them for their behaviour.

Simple.

The courts need to back the boys and girls in blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment